Wednesday 7 November 2012

Wild Boar Ragu

Without wanting to go all Nigella on you, I am just going to say once more that I love Italian food. Whist it does not offer the same spicy hits as my favourite Asian foods, Italian food hits all the right buttons when it comes to food that makes you feel alive. I realise that does sound very cheesy but , for me, food is that deep sometimes. I love food that can stir your senses and bring back memories from good times in the past; which Italian food certainly does. It may be me getting older but I get huge enjoyment when sat around a big table with my family, enjoying simple home cooked food.  I am one for indulging now and again and I love the odd fancy meal with smears and smudges of this and that but simplicity is key for me. Now before I indulge any further and start to get my liquorice case out, I will get on with sharing this lovely recipe for wild boar ragu. Obviously we do not have wild boars on our doorstep to kill one day and have on our plate the next but if you look about you will find a supplier somewhere. There are some good butchers online but delivery charges can be expensive and it does not do much for local traders if are food is shipped from miles away. I manage to pick up boar at farmers markets and food festivals but there is no harm in asking your butcher if they can source it. This recipe is very simple, and much like what you would get on a tuscan family table, without the views of course.




Ingredients

1.5 llb wild boar ( I used haunch steaks diced )
1 large onion
1 large carrot
1 stick celery
4 cloves of garlic
250ml red wine
500ml beef stock
1 tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
small handful of fresh basil
olive oil for frying
small amount of flour
salt and pepper to season

Method

1. Lightly dust the boar with flour and sear in a casserole pan with the olive oil, until browned
2. Chop the onion, celery and carrot, add to the pan and stir until softened
3. Crush or chop the garlic and add to pan with seasoning
4. Add in the wine and simmer for 15 minutes then add in the stock, tomatoes and basil
5. Place lid on dish and place in the oven for at least 3 hours, until boar is very tender and has started to fall apart into ragu. Keep checking the oven and top up with a cup of water every hour to make sure it does not dry out.

I serve with rigatoni and top with a little more fresh basil. There is no need for cheese on this dish but I always like a bit so you can add if you like.





No comments:

Post a Comment