3 Mandarins ( any variety)
125g ground almonds
3 medium eggs
100g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbs milk
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer the mandarins, including the skin, for 1 1/2 - 2 hours to soften.
2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees ( Gas mark 4) and grease your cake tin ( I used a 20cm round tin)
3. Once the mandarins have finished simmering allow them to cool before breaking them with your hands and removing any pips. Blend the mandarins into a fine pulp and set aside whilst you make your cake mixture.
4. Whisk the sugar and butter together until soft and fluffy then one by one add in the eggs. Add in the milk almond and baking powder followed by the mandarin and finally sift in the flour and mix until all ingredients are combined.
5. Pour mixture into your dish and back for 35-40 minutes, until a knife comes out clean when placed in middle of the cake.
6. Sift icing sugar over the top of the cake and allow to cool.